Forum home Talkback

sweet peas

JakJak Posts: 10

My sweet peas have not done well this year. I was late putting them in but havent had as many as expected.

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, FrancePosts: 2,532

I have heard/read a few people on the forum saying the same thing. There is a thread running by David K on sweet peas and he has given some recommendations for next year. See if you can find it, it is full of really useful information. image

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/growing-sweet-peas/6143.html

Try this link. 

Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors. – Mary Cantwell
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Jak don't know where you are but I was about to give up all hope when they started and now I am getting a bowl a day. just been one if these years

David K has some fab advice and suggestions for next year 

i tried the pateo collection and shan't be doing it again, not my cup if tea.

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Dordogne Damsel - Because it was getting rather bulky (almost 60 pages) the thread you posted was closed (at my request) earlier this year........this is the current one I started as a replacement.

www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/growing-sweet-peas-2014/2015/520591.html

Just to keep things tidy. image

Thank you David. And whilst you are about I am undecided whether to start my sweet peas in the autumn or wait until spring. Will there be any noticable difference, I am in France and have a very short winter and in general when things get going in spring they do advance at pace. Any advice welcome. image 

• I think I covered that point several times on the other thread, DD. image

IMHO, best to sow both spring & autumn, this way you will have a continuation of flowers from mid-May into the autumn.

Oops, sorry David, missed those, bit of a poison chalice being the 'go to' expert sometimes. image Will go back and read it all properly. image

Btw, thank you for all your help, mine were beautiful for a bit this year but sadly struggled with our drought. Will be following your recommendations to the letter this time. image

• Dordogne Damsel wrote (see)

Oops, sorry David, missed those, bit of a poison chalice being the 'go to' expert sometimes. image Will go back and read it all properly. image

Don't worry about it, DD....it's just the way it is. No one could reasonably be expected to read back though so many messages, so I've never quibbled about repeating myself.