Forum home Plants

Raised flower bed

Tiny01Tiny01 Posts: 72
Hi .. I've very nearly completed building a corner shaped raised fower bed , now in places it's 400 - 450mm above the original soil level , Please can anyone suggest what type of soil I should be filling it with thank you ? If it makes any difference it's in a shady spot so will be used to grow shade loving plants , ferns etc the top layer say 1" deep will be bark chips to add the woodland feel , but what to use underneath ? Thank you for reading & any advice given image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,739

As they are so tall, you could put a layer of broken-up polystyrene at the bottom so that less volume of soil etc would be needed and it will guarantee good drainage;  Very few plants will send roots down that far.  I'd agree with Verdun and use a mix of topsoil, garden compost and bagged well-rotted manure.  Bear in mind that topsoil is very heavy (approx. 1kg per litre when wet) so if you use only that, the raised beds will have to have been made very strong.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Tiny01Tiny01 Posts: 72
    Lovely thank you for your replies , it's not a massive Bed corner shaped in fact 1.5m x 1.5m I'll add what you suggest thank you
    Yes Verdun very image

I'll post a picture hopefully tomorrow once I've got it filled up with a mixture of manure , compost & soil & hopefully you will be able to advise on what plants to use to fill it with , it has 2 levels upper & lower the high level I'd like a nice fern maybe and then a selection of others in the lower section , a picture will help explain
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,928

Oh yes Verdun, those would look beautiful, and although they're so delicate looking they actually seem quite hardy.   Ours are doing quite well in pots in a shady corner image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I will look into those thankyou , this is the home to be fillled image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,284

Exciting project Tiny. You could include a climber in your planting scheme too - to train up the fence. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....