Forum home The potting shed

BBC -entertainment or education?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,113

I always dreaded it when someone asked me if I could repair their family bible. They expected 600 wafer thin pieces of paper to be magically restored to their original format for a little under twenty quid if possible.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

Beautiful books are even more yummy than carrot cake image

And not as fattening. Do you still do the occasional bit of calligraphy? Or just turn out exquisite shopping lists?

Did your father ever bind any books specially for you Liri?

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

I started to illustrate my calligraphy with drawing and painting and gradually they took my interest more than the calligraphy. I love drawing and do lots of pen and ink work now. Still have some of my old calligraphy bits though in case I get the urge  image

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,426

I definitely agree about the yumminess of beautiful books Daryl.  Dad used to haunt 2nd-hand bookshops and pick up very tatty but internally beautiful flower or bird books, the sort with hand-coloured illustrations, for very little money, and then re-bind them.  I used to love going with him to buy the leather, end papers etc, and watch him working.

My first job was as a sewer in a book bindery.  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

Sorry Pansyface, just seen your question.  Yes, he did bind things specially for me - I specially treasure an 8-volume set of the complete works of Shakespeare, each volume about 10cm x 5cm x 1cm, bound in red leather with a box to match.  I need a magnifying glass to read them now...  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

Ah, the women's work.image Sewing.

I took it up when I was in my 40s and so got a taste of everything. Fortunately, late enough not to have to witness the glaire being made in the old traditional way.image

What a lovely thing to have as a memento.image

All the sewers were women - it was in the very early 70s though, so I guess it wasn't that surprising.  There was a fiendish machine to use as well as the hand sewing and endpaper-making - it was in a copyright library so the material was very varied, from manuscript music and ancient atlases to gory medical journals. And actually I really enjoyed the job.  image

You're right, it is indeed a lovely reminder of a lovely man.  image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129

What a beautiful skill to have. It's sad that it's a dying art. Lovely that you have these items to cherish Liri image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

image  Fairy