Forum home The potting shed

BBC -entertainment or education?

• B3B3 Posts: 21,451
    People of a certain age are ignored by young thrusting advertising types because they assume we're doddering old hasbeens. They don't realise that many of us have functioning brains and disposable incomes. We are actually capable of concentrating for more than ten minutes and do not need background music to tell us how to feel. And we have money to spend.

@d off. Much to the satisfaction of our intelligent learners.

Perhaps the programme planners could do a little more audience research.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,595

totally agree B3

Devon.
  • Well, I like the personal touch of Gardener's World. For more educational information, you have internet, books, dvd's and so on. When I need that, I know where to find that in this modern age where all knowledge is saved and accessible somewhere. I wish I could see GW in Germany... I miss it and I envy those who have the choice to see it...

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,113

My argument entirely, gv.

All knowledge is saved and accessible somewhere. Some of it is even in my head.

If I showed you a piece of equipment and you didn't have a clue what it was called or what it did or where it came from or how old it was,  all the books and dvds and websites in the world would be fairly stuffed with the answers but how would you access them?

Would it not just be a whole lot easier if someone had once showed you the piece of equipment and said "look at this and pay attention to what I'm telling you so that the next time you see one of these you will recognise it"?

Then you wouldn't need to spend hours rummaging around looking for the answer. You would have it in your head. And you would be able to tell someone else.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,595

you can bet your bottom dollar that whatever MD uses costs a bl**dy fortune and was probably shipped in from Japan.

Devon.
  • image yes, although I do find I do not need to rummage for hours, even when I don't know the name or reference. That is the plus of this modern age. And, when in need, I like to ask the elderly generation for their knowledge. They often know amazing things/tips. It is all a matter of communication between humans. Oh... and I certainly do not have the time to watch another tv show... luckily...

First one to identify this object - name, purpose (exact), material used in construction, age (roughly) gets a large piece of cake.image

Books, dvds, internet are all eligible.

• B3B3 Posts: 21,451
    It's the assumption that we can't cope with anything but pretty flowers and a smug expert imparting tiny gobbits of easily digestible pap that's so frustrating! (Wish I had emoticons!!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,426

I'm relieved that the recent trend for hand-held (ie wobbly) camera work has died a natural death;  I remember trying to watch a gardening programme in which the interesting bit about propagation was jiggling about so much I couldn't see what was going on.

I agree with you too, B3, re people of a certain age...  I like GW too, Gardenviking, but I think there's also a place on TV for programmes which treat the audience as intelligent beings with enquiring minds.

Does anyone out there listen to Melvin Bragg on Radio 4 doing "In our time"?  It's that level of intelligent discussion I'm looking for on TV - something which really makes me think, rather than just entertains me.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

Melvin Bragg is brilliant but I'm often too lazy to make the effort to listen properly.image