Forum home The potting shed

BBC -entertainment or education?

• B3B3 Posts: 21,451
    I would also vote for a additional programme with a scientific and educational approach. The pretty one's are nice to watch too. I tend to ignore the spend- a -fortune -and- make- a -garden- room- in a- few- hours programmes as I find them irritating. It would be interesting to see those instant no maintenance gardens after a few months of neglect.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,114

Nut, I know what you mean. We once had a weekend cottage with no phone or TV. The Licensing authorities refused to believe that we had no TV and kept pestering us for their fee. They only stopped when I pretended to be crazy and sent them a letter saying that television was the work of the devil etc etc.

Internet is great but, in the same way as a dictionary helps you to spell, you have to have a tiny clue in order to get started. My idea for a five minute programme was to get round that. So many people are brought up with the "yuck factor" as their first response. They see something, don't know what it is and say "yuck". If the TV could preempt that and say "Look at this, this is what it is, this is what it does, this is the role it plays in the world" a lot more people would steer clear of the pesticides and herbicides when they visit the garden centres.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278

There was a great programme on last year? Don't know which channel or when as I record everything to watch whenever, it was the four seasons in Kew veg garden, Kate Humble springs to mind (oh and my fave chef Raymond! Maybe that's why I remembered it) that could have been done monthly rather than seasonally. They had leek rust- that was so reassuring. Like to see failures as well as successes and what does an ordinary leek look like? I wouldn't eat most of the veg I see at shows.

Bring it on BBC, programmes with content that cater for those with more than a 90sec attention span!

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,368

I can't see a way round all that pansyface. Anything that needs a bit of thought, more than a three second attention span, is doomed to fail on TV. 

We,  (that's us, the forum) are, to a great extent, the exception. The viewing public as a whole needs its celebs and pretty faces and everything served up as shallowly as possible. In depth and educational programmes are not going to happen.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,426

I really like your insect programme idea, Pansy!  Anyone know the commissioning editor for BBC4?

And yes, a programme promoting a sensible, no-nonsense approach to gardening with fewer chemicals would be good - without any New Age mumbo-jumbo, and also intelligent enough to point out that vinegar, table salt and many other traditional remedies are chemicals too.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,160

Liriodendron - you mean acetic acid and sodium chloride are chemicals?  Well - who'd a thunk it image.  And how right you are - like E numbers in food, people assume that they are all a hairbreadth away from poison - conveniently forgetting that all sorts of foods have E numbers applied to them.

And other thing I could do without (not thus far on GW, but give it time . . . . ) - presenter does piece to camera while all the background shots are speeded up.  Don't know why on earth they've started doing this - it adds nothing to the visual screening of the subject.

(Come to think of it, apart from shots of Nigel, of course, some of the wandering along paths pushing a wheelbarrow on GW could usefully have that treatment applied - more time for proper gardening?) 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,114

There were some wonderful short films on TV recently which went under the umbrella title of Handmade. They were presenter-less and speechfree. All they consisted of was watching a craftsperson make something from start to finish. No explanations given of any of the processes. It was like being a six-year old again and watching a parent do something skilled.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,595

Obelixx, I used to regularly bump into Pippa Greenwood as we lived not too far apart. 

I suggested she wrote a book, " bugs and beasties: friend or foe" A guide to help folk identify beasties int he garden,  I thought it a great idea. but she didn't take me up on it.

Devon.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,464

I saw one of the "handmade" series some chap making a chair no fancy tools just knowhow, it didn't need any talking because that sort of skill takes years to learn very entertaining to watch all the same.

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,160

Those of a certain age may remember the Potter's Wheel image