BBC -entertainment or education?

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

In the days of Lord Reith (bless 'is soul) the BBC's goals appeared to be to educate and inform as well as to entertain.

It is no secret that currently the entertainment part has got a few steps ahead of the other two.

Here I admit that I never watch Gardeners' World as I can't bear the presenters' various affectations, accents, gurnings, speech impediments and so on. They have me rifling through the drinks cabinet after two minutes. But with regard to such programmes as Gardeners' World, does anybody think that education and information could be brought to the fore? For example, a five minute programme on "Garden insect of the Week", showing its various stages of development for identification (such as the ladybird and lacewing) and a brief description of what it does in the great scheme of things in nature. And NO CLOSEUPS OF THE PRESENTER'S LEFT NOSTRIL, EAR OR ELBOW. Just a small snippet of unadulterated information for thought provocation and knowledge.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,203

I'm not really a telly person so don't watch that much, and I'm not really a gardener, I do it for fun and because it makes shopping for veg easier.

But I do watch Gardeners World and have done since good old Percy Thrower despite the presenters. I am all in favour of any kind of informative programme as long as it doesn't end up like Horizon which used to be really interesting and now reminds me of the travelogue trailer you used to get in the cinema!

I have embraced the Internet, so useful for finding out about bees in my hedge, the birds I see and seeing how you 'proper' gardeners manage via this forum, but a good telly programme would be welcome.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,668

I think educations about insects etc would be a great idea - if the programme were longer - but then, there's lots of things that it would be really good to include ....................if only the programme were longer image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,089

I can't remember when I last watched TVimage

The internet and youtube are my friends

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

I wasn't really meaning that the information about garden ecology should intrude on the time allotted to Gardeners' World. I was thinking more of an extra programme, with a gardening theme, which was a bit more scientific and less artistic.

• Pansy I think you make a very good point.  I remember many years ago Geoffrey Smith's two series:  "Mr. Smith's Fruit Garden" and "Mr. Smith's Vegetable Garden".  Both were informative and educational - I learnt lots from those series, because it set out to inform rather than entertain, and there was no fancy camera work etc.

There would be more than enough time for programmed schedulers to allow similar series, or plant speciality programmes - after all, they would only have to cut out an antiques programme or three (likewise those "Escape to . . ." ones) all of which seem to be on permanent repeat loops.

And in these times when there are fewer chemicals available/recommended, and more and more of us choose not to use them anyway, greater information about natural remedies or alternative ways of doing things would be helpful to all.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,447

There used to be a regular GW slot with Pippa Greenwood doing pests and diseases and that could be brought back in some form with additional info on beneficial insects and critters.

The current GW is very much about Monty's garden and his way of doing things which doesn't suit a lot of people with limited time, space and budgets and he's also in a cold, wet part of the country so his style is too idiosyncratic and his season is out of kilter with half the UK.

I still watch but haven't learned anything new or do-able for my garden for ages.  thank heavens for the visits to other gardens and the inestimable Beechgrove.   I suspect BBC 4 is more likely to produce an intelligent, scientific based garden show than anything the English branch of BBC 2 might commission these days.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

I'd welcome anything that wasn't presenter pushing. I barely watch anything these days because all you see is some Tristram walking backwards and bellowing at you.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Must admit that most presenting is slightly manic nowadays - the hushed shouting, loud whispering would send most wildlife scattering.  Thank goodness for long lens cameras.

There are hundreds of channels out there but not too many that are interesting to me.