Forum home Talkback

Orchid tips please

Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

I am absolutely lousy with orchids but fell for the deal in local SM recently I got three beauties and want to keep them going for a party two weeks today.

i have not watered them yet, they always die when I water them, nor have I fed them, they always die then too.

what do I do to keep them going? They are fully open and on a warm draught free north/east window 

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A A Milne

• PixuiPixui Posts: 13

If you want to prolong the flowers one way is to keep the plant cooler, but it will still need light and water. I have two orchids on an East facing window sill and they flower for months provided I keep them moist. They also like a transparent pot for their roots. 

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,478

I submerge the roots/bark part of the pot in a sink full of tepid water for about 15 minutes every two or three weeks, alow them to drain, then pop them back into their decorative pot on an east windowsil.  If you have clear pots, it's easy to check the roots to see if they need watered.  The roots will be white and perhaps a little shrunk.  There are plenty of images if you do a search.  I don't feed mine, but I do repot every year.. so the compost may have something in it.  They bloom for months.  They will go a long time without water, so err on the side of less rather than more.  Blooms will last for months on a happy plant. If you have space, keep them on a tray of stones with standing water where it does not reach the bark/roots.  

Utah, USA.
  • It also helps to know what orchids you have..............different methods for different typesimage