compost heap discoveries

B3B3 Posts: 9,527
So far: 1 pair of secateurs 1 cheese knife - great for weeding between slabs and a few chocolate wrappers.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,584

I used to find all sorts when I was a gardener for other people. 

Secateurs were regular, but also the odd phone and penknives

Folk chuck them in the bucket whilst weeding and forget about them

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,577

Those little windows from official envelopes.  It doesn't matter how zealously I tear them out, there are always some left. They make a horrid crackly noise whenever you unearth one.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • I found what i thought was a snake when out checking for slugs around 11pm...Think it was a slow worm....S Myself lol image ..didnt stop me videoing it. image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,453

Secateurs.  Brand new Felcos when lost by daughter.  Now they need a new blade.

Trowel.  Left by OH after cleaning grass from under the Flymo.

Toads hibernating.  

Field mice nesting.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Ant nest.

• B3B3 Posts: 9,527
    Not finished delving yet. What treasures await?
  • I discovered a wasps nest under construction in one of mine several years ago so luckily I was able to disrupt their nest building before it got out of hand and became a nuisance. Just the other day I lifted the lid on one of my compost bins on the allotment and disturbed a mouse which ran around and around before escaping down a hole in the half composted material, usually I give short shrift to mice but as it was on the allotment and I already knew that mice regularly live in the compost bins I let it get on with life but I do wish that they would stop eating the worms as the compost would decompose much better if it was full of worms.

• B3B3 Posts: 9,527
    Maybe they're eating some weed seeds too!
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

I didn't find what my compost bin had hidden in it for months after I mulched the borders ......thousands and thousands of stachys seedlingsimage.  Won't put them in againimage.

• Rats!  Sorted the problem, but have found slow worms nesting (the eggs are fascinating), voles, ants.

Also sympathise re the seedlings:  years and years ago a "friend" gave me some seeds: Nicandra.  At the end of the season, I composted the plants with what I thought were unripe seedheads.  I am still finding the plants popping up, over a decade later!