Removing Rosemary?

I need to dig out an old tatty rosemary, I have taken cuttings to hopefully relocate elsewhere next year but in the meantime, how much hard work is this going to be?

If I remove the main central root section under the base, I assume it isn't going to grow back..?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 50,667

No - the roots won't reshoot.

Stick your fork under the roots and ease them up then give it a good tug - they're not deep rooted - the whole rootball will probably come up image

Save the branches to dry and burn on the BBQ image

'There's a flower that shall be mine, 'tis the little celandine.' W Wordsworth

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,167

I've grown  some from seed Steve - couldn't believe how easy they were! The seed's quite old too  imagef you want some seed just PM me and I'll send you some - I don't think I'm going to need them all...image

Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

• For some reason I thought I'd read somewhere that they have deep tap roots? Maybe they do but they aren't profoud!

We don't have a BBQ...

• That's very kind Fariygirl. Hopefully my cuttings will take! image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,204

Dry or freeze the fresh green bits on the old plant and they'll still taste good in cooking.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Steve the Gardening Vet wrote (see)

...  We don't have a BBQ...

Does Father Christmas know? image

• Thanks Obelixx, I have a big bag of bits in the freezer already. image

Dove, I even try to avoid going to other people's BBQs, I can undercook meat quite adequately at home if I wish!

• B3B3 Posts: 7,541
    You don't have to cook anything. Just burn them for the lovely smell!
    In London. Keen but lazy.

What about a fire pit or chiminea to sit around on the evening with a glass of something cooling image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 19,444

off to a BBQ later this afternoon , but the host is a chef, so fingers crossed on the food front.

ps, Thought of you Steve as I drove along the Hog's Back the other day.

Devon.