Talkback: Calla lily

i am getting married on 29th may in my late mothers garden there is a large calla plant i would love to use the flowers for my wedding will they be in flower by then.

• Lizzy, very hard to say, as I can't be sure what variety she was growing, or what part of the country the garden is. If I assume this plant is Zantedeschia aethiopica and probably the white variety 'Crowborough' then this usually starts flowering in March/April and can continue into June. You might be lucky!

I'm sure all our web community send their very best wishes to you for the future, and a very happy wedding day.
  • I'm trying to find deep purple calla lilies (swartzcoff??) to plant do you know I can find them?
  • Debbie, I know Aeonium Zwartkop, but don't know a calla of this name.
  • I have a very deep pink calla lily an as of yet i have had no trouble at all with it. I grow is in my garden in a very sunny patch, which it seems to love. It is a swartzcoff variety and i purchased it in wilkinsons shop in Runcorn.........i'm hoping for many more years of pleasure from it .
  • I PLANTED CALLA LILYS IN GARDEN IN MARCH NOTHING HAS HAPPEND WILL THEY GROW THIS YR?
  • can calla lilys be planted outside in containers?
  • Calla lily's are native of south africa so they do thrive better at what we'd consider room temperature. They are a very thirsty plant as well and I would say that you can't really over water them. Make sure your soil is loam rich and they'll thrive! absolutely lovely flower if looked after!!!!
  • I recently bought a calla lily , a deep gold colour tinged with dark pink. It lives in the conservatory and it is kept well watered but the deep gold
    "flowers" have reverted back to a deep green, almost the same as the leaves. any ideas why?
  • Debbie, I wonder if this could be lack of light. The spathes do fade as they get old, so if you mean the gold tinged pink spathes have faded to green then this could simply be part of the ageing process.
  • We were transplanting a gorgeous yellow calla clump from the nursery container and ALL the stems snapped off. Will the plant survive or should I toss it? I am traumatized but not as traumatized as the poor plant.