had your final frost yet - taking a gamble?

dependant on where in the country you are (Yorkshire here), do you think you've had your last frost?

i'm still guessing but I'm keen to catch up on lost time and seed my lawn....

Do i or dont i???

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,523

I don't think we've had the last frost but I'd seed a lawn. The days will be warmer and a night frost won't be a problem to grass.

• Bagz wrote (see)

dependant on where in the country you are (Yorkshire here), do you think you've had your last frost?

i'm still guessing but I'm keen to catch up on lost time and seed my lawn....

Do i or dont i???

Last frost by 12th April??-highly unlikely-you could hazard a guess in around 4 weeks or so.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 507

Essex here should be warmer from now on, but I've even known a frost early May on a warm year. No knowing if we'll have one later, but for now I'm keeping fingers crossed and will get the seedlings off the windowsills and into the cold greenhouse.

• In my long experience of gardening, the most damaging frosts are the late ones, and there is plenty of time for that. The whole country, even the south-west is at risk for at least 4 weeks. Sorry  image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Woodgreen WB, I fear you are right; I was always told, even in London to expect frost up until May 18th. having said that most years I put my overwintered in conservatory pelagoniums out in mid April as I get fed up with them taking up so much space.

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 553

Was at my local garden centre this afternoon and was talking to the guy who is in charge of the plants. He said last week in May not before for planting bedding and annuals here in Scotland.  

• I'd go for it.  We're probably in for more frosts (Sheffield here, so may be local-ish), but grass survives being covered with snow, even if it doesn't enjoy it.  Seed the lawn, and as long as you brush the seed in with some sand, and it doesn't get eaten by birds, it will germinated in it's own good time.

I wouldn't plant out anything frost tender yet for at least another 4 weeks - probably more like 6.

• Grass not at much risk but be careful with most everything else. Even hardy plants can have soft new growth that can be massacred.....just think of roses as an example. Mine have had this year's growth cut back by frost at least once, and all roses are as tough as my boots. And I live in the sunny south!!