Crocosmia

I've just ordered some mixed crocosmia bulbs, but I've done that several times before and nothing came up.  They will be delivered by the end of April.

Would it be feasible to plant them in pots just so that I can make sure to water them and nurse them along?  If I did, should I use compost or just garden soil?

I've planted crocosmia bulbs before, planted an actual growing plant, planted bulbs from my sister's garden (which grew like mad for her) and never had any luck with any of my efforts.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    What sort of soil do you have in your garden?
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

About 2 weeks ago put some 'Lucifer' into modules as I need to see where they go when they are planted. popped them on bottom shelf of GH and told them to get on with it!. Today a couple are sprouting, when they all are will harden off and put them in soil

• You will need to plant out eventually (scientific term!) as they stop flowering when they get congested.

•  

Thanks folks for all the replies.  I'll try putting them in pots with compost, try to keep them warm and wait to see what happens.

Fingers crossed!  If it doesn't work this time, I'll just give up and search for something else to become fixated on..................!

• AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

They do not do well in pots - they are found by stream banks in nature, so well draining but moist soil. In summer pots are far too dry for them, although a few did well in a pot for me last year, but that was a wet summer!

Get them in the ground and they will grow like mad.

•  

Thanks blairs - but I've tried them in the ground several times before with no luck!

Maybe they just don't like me..............!

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I'm still interested to know what Supernanauna's soil is like. I have very free draining soil here, and have a constant battle to keep them in check.
  •  

figrat - I've got ordinary garden soil.  Nothing special about it - can be quite heavy and clay-ey in places.