Forum home The potting shed

Tawny owls

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,243

Listening to the young tawny owls practising their chorus. Very immature sounds. Very wobbly. Magical. 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• How lucky you are - and nice to be prompted to dwell on my own memories of owls - the thoughts will keep me smiling today image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,847

We hear tawnies in the oaktrees over the hill and sometimes one visits our ash trees - usually just to sit there and 'call' to neighbours on it's way back to the oak trees just before sun-up - as you say ' magical'. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,744

Love themimage

they can make a fairly blood curdling shriek too - took us a while to work out what it wasimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,394

I wonder if that was what I was listening to last night Pansy? Definitely owls calling but somehow didn't sound quite as it should. Never thought of babies. Lovely image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,243

They sounded almost as if they were clearing their throats before trying out a call. The calls were both very quiet and tentative.

• B3B3 Posts: 11,541
    I would love to hear a curlew again but you don't get many in London!
    In London. Keen but lazy.

Very few round my way either.image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233

We get Tawny owls in the mature pines over the road, its great hearing them hoot whilst reading in bed. Me reading, not the owls image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,382

At my last house, one used to come and sit on the outside light fitting right next to the lounge bay window, tucked in against the wall. There weren't any street lights so you were really just aware of him/her sitting there, moving his head. You got the odd flash of those huge eyes. Not a tawny as he had ear tufts, but beautiful anyway image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....