Protecting a newt from a digger

Hi everyone,

We're getting our garden dug over with a mini-digger next week. I'm currently sifting through a pile f bits of wood and compost that we're clearing out the way for the gardener. I've come across a smooth newt. I'm worried that the digger next week could end up killing it.

Is there any sensible way I can keep it safe for a few days without completely stressing it out? Or is it considered better to leave it to chance it? I'd feel terrible if it ended up getting killed in the process of the digging, but I appreciate I shouldn't really be moving it around. Just thought I'd check in case anyone had been in a similar situation before.

Lucid image

• Make a container/box and put the vegetation/debris in and then insert your newt.  If you do this the day before your digger arrives, you will at least keep it safe.  Leave the newt in situ until the ground work is complete and then release it into a similar habitat. 

• LucidLucid Posts: 318

Thanks for the reply philippa smith2. Hopefully we will be able to secure it until afterwards - assuming we can find it again.

Lucid image

We've managed to secure a couple of newts in to a container with plenty of soil, bricks and vegetation to keep them feeling safe. We've put small slugs and worms in there but should we add any other type of food, or should they be ok for a couple of days?

Lucid image

• Lucid........so pleased to know that you have managed to contain them.  No, you don't need to feed them.  They will be happy enough for a few days until your digger has gone.

Good for youimage

Yes, we were really pleased we found them. Our first job once the garden is dug over will be to make a little area to release them to and keep out of the way of other things happening. We'll then be making a pond and rockery, with a hibernaculum within so hopefully they may be the first residents over the next few months.

Lucid image

• Sounds good.  I am constantly surprised how deep our newts bury themselves in the garden for the winter.  You need to be on your guard when planting stuff in early Spring - I've accidentally unearthed them more than onceimage

I looked across to the pond earlier today as I was walking across the garden and out of the corner of my eye saw a thin creature quickly swim to the bottom of the pond. I am guessing it is one of the newts who survived the winter and is hopefully settling in to the pond. It was far too quick to try to take a photo, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a frog.

Lucid image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,999

• Sounds promising Lucid - good to know your effort was successfulimage