what's looking good ?

granmagranma Posts: 1,835

What are good plants for the garden,  as we are coming to the end of summer?

At this time of year my borders always look a bit drab after cutting back and deadheading . what suggestions for a bit of colour ?  And what do you find grows well in your garden . Suggestions please......

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,150

Phlox - lots of different colours and heights - Rudbeckia and all the meadow flowers (field poppies, cornflower, corn marigolds, marguerites, red clover). But my garden is well behind many other people's so those choices might sound odd to some.image

And I nearly forgot the echinops and cardoons are just beginning and then there is still the sedum spectabile to come.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,835

Thanks pansy face I'm about to check up if I can sow rudbeckia now  , and whatever else I can sow to greatly start . 

• granmagranma Posts: 1,835

Oopps  greatly  should have read early !

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,607

Dahlias, Cannas, Rudbeckia, Calendula, Phloxes, Salvia, Eryngiums , Echinops and Buddleja are amongst those looking good, although not being able to dead head at the moment, I suspect some of these will start to decline.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,333
    cosmos
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

Granma have a look at my pictures from my Bristol Garden in the thread "My Bristol garden in 2015" and you will see what is flowering now in my garden on the present page.

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

Sorry p87 as the pages have moved on since I put this week's flowers in.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234

Mine is usually best this time of year, rabbits have eaten a lot but they are recovering, the potentilla are good, rudbeckia, echinops, helenium, penstemon, foxgloves having another go, Flanders poppies, deadheaded they never stop, dahlias, cosmos, fuchsias, at their best when it's a bit colder, verbena Bon just beginning to put on a show. Perennial sweet peas, hydrangeas, buddliea, crocosmia, montbretia, asters, geums, there's more but that's all I can see from the window. Oh, roses and geraniums still going. Tall anemones just starting.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 11,333
    I envy you all! My garden looks good spring/ early summer but this time of year it's mostly stuff that's gone over. Will take note of the suggestions you gave granma
    In London. Keen but lazy.