Greenhouse base...securing to sleepers?

I have a greenhouse and a metal base. Never had one before. Can you please tell me...this metal base...can I use it to then secure to a few sleepers ( to make my greenhouse 6ft x 10ft higher slightly ).

Or - Do I not use the base for something like this? Whats the best method?

Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

If you're going to screw a greenhouse down to something it needs to be totally solid.  I don't think sleepers would be solid enough as they could move independently. That would put stresses on the GH and might crack the glass. It doesn't take much movement to crack glass.  I've watched slabs gradually coming up at one end as they get didturbed by moles, ants people etc. Sleepers will do this as well. I'd start with a concrete foundation round the edge.

• saltskisaltski Posts: 50

The base should be fixed securely to the ground, usually this will be done using either a poured concrete base (20cm depth) or one that is made using breeze blocks secured down with concrete. The metal base would then be attached to these using heavy duty anchor bolts to ensure it stays put in high wind.

If you want to put sleepers on first to increase the height then you will need to secure these to the ground too, however this could be down with fence post anchors (the metal type that hammer into the ground). Then use several short sections of fence post and screw them to the sleepers before screwing the metal baseonto the sleepers too.

However given the two options I would go for the concrete foundation as it will ultimately last longer ans also stop pests from burrowing under and into the greenhouse (I have a rabit problem).

• blackestblackest Posts: 623

Yes you could, but i'd recommend pressure treated timber rather than creosote treated sleepers. These are carcinogenic  and can weep in the heat. As long as you have enough weight in the base then you can do a lot of things.  The critical thing is for the greenhouse to be secure in the wind and well located. 

A concrete or slab base on hardcore is more usual. I get the point of it being possible there could be some movement in the sleepers but wouldnt that be true in a wood framed greenhouse too?

• garjobogarjobo Posts: 86

Thanks for the advice. Ok..no to sleepers then. It is a concrete base..but i like the idea of a bit more height.

So..if i bought some bricks and made a double thick brick wall..say..5 high.

Back to me original question though. I havent seen my greenhouse..only ordered it...so..i dont know..about base...I mean, is it ok..normal..to secure the base to the brick wall i will build..or not use the base at all.

Thanks again

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

Just realised what the base is I think. 8" or so of metal at the bottom? You won't need that if you build a brick wall.

Great, thanks thats what i needed to know. So you chaps are sure then..wont be all 'bendy' etc..i dont need the base, just..somehow?..secure aluminum to a short brick wall then.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I think you'd be wise to use the base, as I remember when I put mine up ( on a concrete base on pre existing hard standing) we got ground screws to secure the base to the concrete, so you should be able to do the same onto a brick wall. Do remember though, if you're raising the whole thing to get more height inside, the door will be raised as well, leaving a step the height of your wall to climb over every time you go in and out.

Thats just what was going through my tiny mind..How do you do the door!!! In my head I have a nice wall 5 bricks high or so..looks nice..keeps frost / a little more warm perhaps...but..how'd you step in!!!!

Im no builder..but think i could lay a few bricks...so the only option then..is to have steps up to greenhouse and a drop! into it.

I think i'll pass in which case!! Unless any bright soul knows how to do it another way?

Just a thought...perhaps someone can advise...

SURELY, if I build a small brick wall..secure greenhouse to the wall...the only problem  is the door. SO - ( and not having seen my greenhouse yet..but it is a simple single door sliding to the side ) - cant i just EXTEND the door by a foot. Extend the aluminum ( somehow? ) and 1 pane of glass?

NO ? not as simple as that?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    It's not just the length of the door you have to take into account, it's the aluminium channel running horizontally along the base into which the bottom door rollers fit.

If you just lengthen the door you may find it hard to open it.