Forum home Plants

Cerinthe

Hello, I'm a newbie gardener and have made some progress in my first year growing lots of different plants and mostly succeeding but having some failures and lots of issues along the way! I have found this forum to be a brilliant source of information/wisdom, so was wondering if you guys could help out. I have grown some Cerinthe from seed and noticed today that there are black seeds appearing in many of them. I would prefer not to have them self-seed randomly as I still have so much work to do in the area they are planted in and don't want to accidentally dig up any seedlings.  Should I collect the seeds now and pot them up?  I really want more of these plants for next year as I just love them. Also, does anyone know if this years plants will die back quickly once the seed has been produced, or do they stay upright and colourful during the autumn/winter? Thanks in advance!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,657

Once they start forming the black seeds, the plants die off as they are annuals. Collect the seeds and sow next spring for more plants next year. Seeds dropped in the soil now will overwinter and flower earlier than a spring sowing.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thank you! I will get the paper bags out and get collecting tomorrow if this rain ever ceases. Should I store the seed in the fridge or will a cool cupboard be ok? 

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Rosa, just make sure the seeds are dry and then store them in a paper bag or envelope in a cool, dry place.  They don't need to go in the fridge.  They are lovely big seeds to work withimage.

• Thanks Lesley.  They are lovely seeds, managed to collect a few today and am drying them on kitchen roll.  Looking forward to a swathe of new plants next summer!

• DeedotDeedot Posts: 31

As said earlier you will get new plants popping up where the black seeds have dropped. I find that these don't transplant very well if you try to move them. They love love love gravel and grow like weeds in my gravel paths. So when sewing the seeds you have collected I suggest using a very gritty compost. If you have a plant sale they sell very well as they are an interesting plant/colour.

• Cheers Deedot.  I've collected a bowlful of seed today, so I may well end up having a plant sale early next summer - so far I have polemonium, aquilegia, salvia, cerinthe, nigella, canterbury bells, centaurea imperialis, anthriscus sylvestris, lavender, strawberries and hesperis matronalis all either from seed or cuttings growing up in my back yard for next year.  I think I may have an addiction starting! image 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

seed collection //sowing is an easy addiction to fall into.

Or should that be "an addiction into which it is easy to fall"?

Devon.
  • DeedotDeedot Posts: 31

It's a great way to learn. Ask 6 gardeners advice and you might get 6 different responses. You listen to advice, read up on things, look at what nature does then sometimes you just find your own way that works for you. 

You never stop learning or being amazed at nature