cooking apples

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,212

We have just enjoyed our first apple puree of 2015. The variety is Reverend W Wilks. An early variety and even better than Bramley, in my opinion. But it doesn't keep well, so we shall have to freeze it. 

I can recommend it as an excellent cooking apple. Sharp but needing very little sugar. The puree is light and fluffy but is free from any of the grittiness of Bramley puree. The fruits are large while the tree is dainty (unlike the big lummox, Bramley) so it is an ideal variety for smaller gardens. It doesn't mind bad weather and seems to be resistant to canker (we are the canker capital of the UK, I think)

The only downside seems to be that it might be a biennial bearer but I have no experience of that (yet).image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

Had the Rev Wilkes apple for this year, baked yesterday. It is our trees year off, so we were lucky to get one apple even. So, yes it is biennial bearing and naturally so too, so no amount of pruning and feeding is going to change that.

Not that it matters, Catshead are nearly ready, as are Bramleys.

• DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

I'd recommend 'Arthur Turner' which is a lovely cooking variety (it makes a lovely pale yellow puree and doesn't need much sugar) and keeps well.  The variety dates back to 1912.  Grows well in the North and a reliable cropper every year.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,212

That's good to know Dorcas. If I find myself with space for a seventeeth apple tree (as I know I probably shall image) I'll remember that.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.