Forum home The potting shed

What has happened???

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,799

OH gets a staff discount and the Notcutts staff get the same at his place image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Retailing wall, turf removal and dig a bed over. Oh, and a second arch coming into the garden with a small fence to keep OH new furface in the garden lol

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,752

Wintersong - I keep a garden diary (have always kept it a deep, dark secret, due to the unmerciless abuse I get from my family for it - but there you go - secret's out!).  We are also at least a month behind this year.

GW said that spring would come with a rush - but have just seen the week ahead forecast, and still doesn't look promising.  At this rate my magnolias will be flowering in June !!

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • When do they normally flower Chicky?

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

I don't keep a diary as such but am quite organised with my garden photos on the computer and like to see how things are different from 12 months ago.  The plants generally seem a few weeks behind but why are the brambles doing so well? image

• Pennine PetalPennine Petal Posts: 1,540
    I can hardly see the buds on my magnolia stellata Chicky.

Wow. Sam, you must be working very hard out there, don't be overdoing it.

Dove, that sounds like a useful arrangement.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,065

I know what you mean, chicky!  My 'Lizzie' early plum has had flower buds on for nearly 2 months and I don't think she can hold it in much longer, poor thing!image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Caz, brambles always do well. So do stinging nettles 

• Its been done a little at a time I have to admit. My ME wont allow me to go hammer and tongs anymore but I get there 

Caz...brambles are creeping in to my garden too image Damn things come from the woodland and spend all my time cutting and pulling them back. I need a weedkiller that will get rid of them. Any ideas?

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,752

Sam - they are normally out in April (8th last year - according to the diary - as you can see, it gives the impression that I am a teeny bit obsessive!).  This year, like Penine Petal, there is no sign of flowers yet.  Don't know quite how long the flowers can survive in a dormant state.

But you can be sure that when they do finally come out, the first thing I will do is reach for the dreaded diary to note down the date image

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.