Forum home The potting shed

Waterproofs

I want to invest in some decent waterproof gardening clothing. I need a coat/jacket, trousers, hat and some boots. I'm interested in what other professional gardeners are wearing when its raining. Normally if its raining I put the job off and catch up over the weekend if the weathers better but I'd sooner get the right clothing and work on the days I'm meant to be doing someone's garden whatever the weather. Any advice would be appreciated thankyou.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054

As they say there's no such thing as bad weather only unsuitable clothing! image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,438

barry island wrote (see)

As they say there's no such thing as bad weather only unsuitable clothing! image

They've never been on a Scottish hill in July  barry...image

Hi Green Claws- to be honest, any half decent waterproofs will do the job well enough. You'll get a good selection in any outdoor shop. You wouldn't need anything top of the range unless you garden in very extreme conditions. Something slightly bigger than normal so that you can  get warmer layers underneath is probably a good idea too.  Most people opt for wellies in wet weather, but many use walking boots - I use my old ones unless it's very wet underfoot. Hats are a more personal thing. I would simply put a hood up as I don't like hats! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Don't know about specific waterproofs for gardening but anything appropriate for sailing would probably be fine.  Musto leaps to mind but it's not cheap and for boots, yard boots for horse riders perhaps.  They have to cope with mud, poo and urine so should be good for a bit of mud in the garden.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,251

I find cheap waterproof clothes are sweaty so I wear old expensive Goretex ones. I have an ancient Schoeffel jacket with a detachable hood and lining. Old walking boots too.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,438

I use old Goretex walking jackets too pansyface. Those cheapo rubbery ones are very hot and  unpleasant - unless that's your 'thing'... image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for the replies. Got some Karrimor gear from sports direct.