Seed saving

• I'm another addict! Haven't collected much yet this year, apart from foxgloves and aquilegias, have a long list of things to watch out for as and when (if?) they ripen. Weather not helpful for good collecting at the moment!

It somehow gives a closer connection to the plants if you've grown them yourself from your own seeds and it is lovely to be able to plant generous swathes of things instead of meanly dotting in one here and there! 

Lots of things are surprisingly easy from seed and don't take much skill, though some may need some patience. I've got dierama and agapanthus both growing on well, just longing to see the flowers, especially  the dierama which I haven't grown before. Those are from bought seed, but the agapanthus I collected from my plants last year. And there's always the outside chance of getting some combination of genes that gives you a unique plant that no-one else has ever seen!

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,533
    I've saved seed from chillies last year because the bought one's wouldn't germinate, had no trouble at all so I'm doing that every yearimage
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,963

hhmm, chillies. !!

Never grown them from seed before, so guess what? Massively oversowed. 

I've given lots away and I've still got about 60 plants.

Addiction therapy needed here too.

Devon.
  • Yes, the addiction of saving seed!

I have for decades done just that.  I mostly save seed of tomatoes or chillies bought in shops!!  To some this is a no,no.  For me it works perfectly.  Some years ago I bought some tomatoes from M&S whose flavour we loved; so, I saved some of their seed.  I have been growing them since with considerable success, but I still don't know what they're called!

Though I'm not a huge fan of chillies personally, my daughter and son in law are, so very often I experiment with the seed from shop-bought chillies and I now "farm" a considerable variety.  All nameless!

With flower seed, simply because I don't often use annuals, except when I'm given them (too much work), I throw ripe seed all over the garden when it's ready and by next spring a huge number oblige; I simply remove the ones I don't want.

Anything for an easy life!  image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,879

I always buy a sweet pepper of my choice in Spring and sow the seed straight away, always good.

the best tomatoes I grew were from a bought tomato, they came true, as did the long banana shaped peppers.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I have never grown sweet peppers, Lyn, but I think I might now!  I find the "unnamed but tried and loved variety" way of growing food not just rewarding but immensely satisfying too.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,156

The only time I would buy an adult plant nowadays is if it was reduced/in need of a home. Everything that came out of the GH this year was from seed...well almost. There is nothing more rewarding than growing plants yourself image

I totally agree, Fishy, waiting for those seedlings to grow is lovely.

Those salvias have been wonderful and still blooming, also the remaining toadflax, (what the rabbits didn't eat)  have huge blue spires.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,156

I think its the excitement of seeing the first glimpse of a brand new plant Lyn, a new life beginning image And as Verdun says, very addictive!!

I have seeds by the dozens in different stages already for next Spring, the idea being that the rabbits can't eat all of them And there must be some out of that lot that they don't like!