Forum home Plants

Spring sweethearts

• Flower birdFlower bird Posts: 284
    I love the pots with the blue hyacinths, they look lovely, x
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,721

I planted these pots up in autumn 2011 - this is the second spring that they have delighted us image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

Absolutely beautiful, Dovefromabove.  That reminds me I couls plant a host of golden crocus in the autumn for my Goden Jubilee Garden.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,174
    I had some tulips out before the daffs but when i looked in the parkers catalogue, it said they were the earliest ones. My hyacinths are still up only about 2 inches, my daughters are almost finished.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,195

Some beautiful photos everyone!  Here's my humble effort.  Only mini daffs, about the same size as the snowdrops, but they really made me smile this morning.image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,212

I've some very dainty dwarf tulips which came into flower today. Not at all like your traditional tulips, leaves are the same but flower heads are more a cross between a daff and tulip without the sticking out bit on daffs. They've produced 1 - 3 flower heads per stem. 

Zoomer 40, Adam Pasco wrote a blog on multi-headed tulips in Sept 2011.  If you put "Muliheaded tulips" into the GW search engine you can read it and perhaps put a variety to yours from the colour.  i have the species Tulipa praestans in my garden and they do flower early.  The kaufmanniana tulips flower early as well.  I find doubles like angelique flower later but do so look forward to those.

Awww, I forgot about spring pansies that have survived the winter.  Here are yellow and blue ones on my friend's windowsill.  These do cheer you up o a cold spring day.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..lovely photos, especially like the white crocus's and the 'Leonard Messel' magnolia, wish I could have one of those...no space..

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

Ranunculus 'Brazen Hussy'... an almost black leafed form of Celandine and one of the late Christopher Lloyd's favourites - he discovered the plant and named it... only he could have come up with that one...

I just noticed it in flower today...