Forum home Plants

Sweet Woodruff

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

I'm considering buying some seeds after seeing it on Gardener's World recently. I hear its good for dry shade, a condition that exists under our ash tree. Most plants really struggled under there this year especially in that hot spell. 

Does anyone have experience with this plant? image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,564

Don't buy it Fishy. You know where it grows, plenty to spareimage

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

Oh really nut? Seeds? image

No, bits of rootimage Flower next year

I'll pm you image

OKimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,405

I can vouch for that particular strain of Sweet Woodruff Fishy - does very well in my dry shade image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,405

While on the subject of Sweet Woodruff - a German friend has lots of uses for it - particularly Maibowle - a sort of sweet punch flavoured with the woodruff and drunk in spring.

some recipes here http://spoonfulsofgermany.com/2015/05/09/mays-sweetest-herb/

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Well that's good enough for me Dove, though it won't be the first of nut's own special brand to adorn my garden image

I may pass on the woodruff punch though image A fascinating article nonetheless...

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,569

My sister lived in Germany for a while, and once gave me sweet woodruff jelly.  Quite pleasant...

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore