Forum home Tools and techniques

Fibre-glass switchers - your personal experience please

Hi there.  I have a fine lawn in its first year since laying as turves in the spring.  Generally quite happy with it - apart from worm casts.

I'm considering either a switcher or chemical treatment - happy to "switch" but need to know if switchers work (pretty much) as well on wet casts as they do on dry casts?

Any experiences shared would be very welcome...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,782

Worms are needed for a healthy soil structure.

Chemical treatments to kill worms are not permitted to the home gardener.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=806

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 14,667
    If they bother you sweep them with a broom.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • nutbagnutbag Posts: 8

To reiterate, I am looking for people's experiences with switchers only (I am aware of worms' usefulness, never said anything about killing them, and use of brooms to attempt to remove - which in my experience is next to useless)

Thanks in advance.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,782

I have no experience with the fibreglass switchers - I've always found the traditional birch besom to work perfectly well for me.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452
    nutbag wrote (see)

....I am aware of worms' usefulness, never said anything about killing them,...

What did you mean by 'chemical treatment' in your first post then? 

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

image I managed to make the quote thing work! image )

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,417

No personal experience of them, but a guy on Gardeners World, who is obsessive about his lawn uses one.  From that I guess that it works well.