Forum home Wildlife gardening

Please help me identify this bush

Hello,

I have this large bush growing at the back of my garden and I am thinking of removing it to allow some more light in, as we already have a large goat willow at the back too.

It has dark green foliage and very small white flowers. Later on, I noticed there were small white fruit.... well, I assume that they are fruit.

Can you please help me identify what this is please? The flowers are not fragrant and I do not find the bush particularly attractive but I am curious if it has some other appeal that I am just ignorant of.

Thank you and kind regards,

Sean

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

This web page is not available it says when you click on the link for the picture so how can we possibly help?

• I am not sure how to answer that- I inserted a standard picture in my original post.

There may be a technical issue with the website displaying the picture but that is not within my control.

I have uploaded it again in this response.

• DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

Picture came through ok for me.  It looks like Osmanthus burkwoodii to me.

• Can anyone let me know what this plant is please, bought in the sale with no label? Ty.

• Thank you Dorcas. I will have a closer look this evening- does the burkwoodii have fragrant flowers? My bush does not.

I think there may be a technical issue with your internet connection Happymarion.

• I think the plant in the OP might be Spindle, Euonymus europaeus. If so, it should have striking orange and pink fruits in the next couple of months. When was the photograph taken?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

It looks like spindle to me as well. but is blurry when enlarged so can't be sure. 

Clarice you need to start another thread. 

To ID 2 plants on one thread leads to chaos.

Are we back to normal now? couldn't post or see pics earlier

Oh Sorry nutcutlet, will do 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

no need to apologise Clariceimage We've all done it

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,664

The spindle bush was traditionally used to make spindles and other thin, pointy things that needed a hardish wood for their construction. So any time you are short of a spindle, this is your bush. Also handy if you take up a hobby making toothpicks, ox goads and bird cages apparently.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.