Composting

OK a couple of questions about what you can compost. Firstly peel from citrus fruits, I read online about it turning the compost more acidic than it should be. Is this true or a myth?

Secondly, spent tomato plants. The articles I've read seem split as to whether you can compost them. I would like to if possible. Any opinions?

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Fishy65 i compost both but mix the peel with other things, I put in something dry like cardboard of paperimage
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Yep - both with no problem, but indeed, well mixed.  In moderation - domestic use orange peel is fine, but I wouldn't go picking up the waste from a juice bar!  Compost is acidic anyway - if this is likely to be a problem you could add the odd handful of ground limestone.

Don't put diseased material in though, unless you're sure it's going to get really hot.  This means no blighted tomato haulm of course. 

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,153

You'd probably need a lot of citrus peel for it to have an impact on the ph of the compost. I have a lot of pine needles in with leaf mould but the plants which are mulched with it are ok.

You should be ok with composting tom leaves providing they haven't had blight in which case burn themimage.     

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230

Thanks for your input guys. The tomato plants don't have any disease from what I can tell other than looking a bit jaded now but then they've worked hard.

I've got plenty of twigs etc and tons of cardboard gets chucked in the recycling bin. I'm enjoying this composting lark, its very satisfying knowing its going to end up boosting the garden plants and improving the soil image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I wouldn't put twigs in unless they're very thin as they take ages to rot.  Cardboard should be torn up and well mixed with nitrogenous stuff like grass cuttings and urine.   In fact if you have a lot of cardboard it's worth stacking it tightly in a box of same (corrugations vertical) and weeing in it every day or three.  Makes brilliant compost.

You're absolutely right - turning waste into good stuff that will improve your soil is definitely the way to go..

• Sarah GSarah G Posts: 1
    Hi everybody....new girl here and very impressed with the lay out and content of the site.

Yes I agree making compost is so satisfying and rewarding. I have just started using last year's brew and it is black and rich. I put plenty of soft paper in .....soft wrappings , clean toilet paper even...well mixed in with veggie scraps and garden rubbish from weeding and tidying. And never forget the secret ingredient....plenty of male urine, collected by my husband in a special receptacle overnight.

I left the last bin - ful a year to rot down well, with plenty of Garrotta sprinkled in before wrapping it up under old curtains, then gave it a good soaking this Spring.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,181

Sadly I have no man anymore and am a bit embarrassed to approach the neighbours for liquid donations, but I chuck all that stuff and more into my compost. I have learnt to check the toms though as last years seedlings included quite a few tomato plants!

I drink a lot of tea, lots, and I was concerned about the leaves going in the compost so e-mailed RHS (before I found this great forum, so much knowledge!) the nice RHS person reassured me that most stuff in moderation can only add to the goodness as long as it is raw and vegetable. Apparently making tea is not cooking but sterilising, so probably 20% of my compost is now tea leaves and its great.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,230

I didn't realise us men were so useful image