Forum home Fruit & veg

Courgette plants have given up

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on what might be wrong with my courgette plants. I have two and they are both in the sorry state like the one in the photo.

I have been removing the old, dead leaves as the plants grow, and have noticed the new leaves are just not getting as big.

Also, I have not had a courgette off of either in them for about four weeks.

Any ideas?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,833

They look hungry and thirsty  to me - mine get fed with tomato feed every 10 days or so.  They also need lots of watering otherwise the leaves get powdery mildew. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,267

That is what I think as well. Mine are in the ground, have been fed and regularly watered, they are huge. I don't think those pots are big enough either.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Thanks for the replies

I water them every second day, maybe it needs to be every day as they are in pots.

Interesting re the size of the pots. They are 30 litres, you think that's too small?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,267

Hard to tell from the photos, but to me they look a lot smaller than that!

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

hi every one courgettes are very greedy plants and need constant watering and feeding.  i also feed mine on comfrey feed which is liquid gold and has an awful smell but gets great results.

i have mine planted on raised beds from clearing the top of my allotment with also giant pumpkins and they are prolific, cannot keep up with the harvest so my friends and family are all conjuring up recipes to devour them

happy gardening image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,238

You've got some lovely soil there chris. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • @ Chris: very nice

@ Busy-Lizzie: they are definitely 30L. It's a close up shot.

OK more water it is. Thanks everybody.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,238

And foodimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Do you mean 3 litres? That's what they look like! I grew mine in the compost heap again and have had some beauties. They have plenty of space to ramble and it has been quite moist despite the drought this summer. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,833

I once tried growing courgettes in 30 litre tubs - they really struggled. 

At the moment I have three plants - each of them has a 1 metre x 1 metre x 0.5 metre raised bed  , in a mixture of 50:50 good topsoil and well rotted organic farm manure on bare soil -  they're not as good as they've been when I've grown them direct in good veg plot soil.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh