Magpies on the increase?

Hi, This afternoon I was having a quiet mug of coffee in the conservatory when I noticed a great deal of action in a nearby tree. its a large tree and there must have been approximately 12 to 14 Magpies moving around the branches very quickly. Some were dropping down the tree like squirrels do and they seemed to be chasing one another as in a game. I have seen 3 Magpies together in our garden in the past, they like to forage in the guttering around our conservatory and workshop. They also chatter in our apple tree mixing with the crows, they also graze on the lawn but I have never seen such a large number together doing what seemed like a competition or some circus act. Has anyone else noticed Magpies behaving like this and has anyone any idea what was going on with them.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,851

Yes, I have. I never stopped to ask them, I just shouted and clapped my hands. I know that the collective noun for some corvid or other (rooks?) is a parliament of (rooks). I have seen them doing the same thing. And jackdaws too. No idea why. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,114

we have a big tree and we saw the same thing, I've never seen so many magpies in one tree and they make a lot of noise too image

• I think it is a "chatter" of magpies isn't it ?  That'll explain the racket at leastimage

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,114
    Yes that's right, do you think the male and females are trying to attract each other?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,054

Most magpie pairs have raised at least two broods this year - what you will have seen is Mum and Dad and their two lots of teenagers - the youngsters were probably still hanging about expecting parents to help them find food etc, the adults were probably getting quite fed up with parenting such a tribe of helpless inadequate hangers on who should be out fending for themselves by now ................ sound familiar anyone? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,228

yes  image

I enjoy watching the two youngsters here - they'were looking very scruffy but they love using the pond and  generally poncing about eating all my strawberries and poking around in the lettuce and my sempervivums. image

They looked a bit better a day or two ago as the feathers are all growing back round their necks.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• sterelitzasterelitza Posts: 109
    Thank you all for responding, I must just mention that we need to bow to them. I was told that a bow for each one you see, that means I would be bobbing up and down a great deal this afternoon and would probably end up with a headache... I think not!
  • Young magpies like to hang about together from this time of year onwards.

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

hi unfortunately the magpie is desimating the small bird stocks by raiding nests and killing everything in its way.

i had a seagull nest on my roof this year and as one other writer mentions earlier at least 10 magpies stalked the seagulls teasing them and eventually raided the nest in numbers and hey presto no sea gull nest on my chimney.

they work in packs like hyhinas or african wild dogs and usually get their prey

in my part of the world north east england they are more in number than black birds and sparrows well have not seen one in a while

happy gardening

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I've seen more magpies and jays in the garden this year than I have since we moved in 3 years ago.  I'm noticing a lot less little birds too, what with the pigeons I can't think of what else to do other than stop feeding all the birds.  hmm what to do imageimage