Frog

I was clearing some weed out of the pond yesterday and noticed this little chap/lady. How much of the pond volume should be free of oxygenating weed? The hornwort didn't really grow for two years so I kept adding more. Now I'm not sure if there's too much! Can you have too much surface cover with frogbit and lily leaves? I hate pulling stuff out.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,857

You can have as much as pleases you - it's your pond. Frogs don't really need open water outside the breeding season.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Apart from the cuteness factor, that is a technically damned good photo!

• Gillian53Gillian53 Posts: 112

My Samsung 5 takes great pictures. Cameras are too complicated for me these days!

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 433

In the breeding season (and assuming your visitor will stick around rather than return to his birth pond as most do) you will need between half and two thirds of the pond covered in plant life. Frogs like variety (duckweek, frogbit, reeds and rushes and floating plants like water lettuce or hyacinth would all be good). Plants provide oxygen, camoflage / coverage, shade and attract insects for food. I'd only remove plants when they start to cover the surface to the extent that no sun gets to the bottom of the pond - which could lead to / accelerate stagnation.

Great pic btw!

Thanks for the advice and the accompanying pic. Not sure about the pond 'freezing in summer' though! We have most of the plants you mention and plenty of Myositis and Beccabunga (if that's spelt correctly). They've spread all over the shallows.  Don't see many backswimmers now though as there isn't much plant free surface. I have no idea where the first frogs came from. We saw three at the same time in the first year and I saw three today. So let's hope they've been here for two years and are planning on staying. Just hope the hedgehogs have enough mealworms and Spike biscuits and don't fancy frog for supper! 

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,371

GILLIAN53.    Fabulous pictures, esp the Frog. image

Thanks you two. Just this one then that's me done posting random pics. No wonder it takes me ages to deadhead!