Lupins

Hi, a couple of years back I planted out lots of Lupins that I grew from seed and for the past 2 years had amazing shows...now this year I'm worried as I'm sure the folage was coming up through the soil by this time...or am I wrong?....As yet I can see nothing!

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    Mine are up but still small. I have them in pots near the house though which might keep them a little warmer. Be wary of slugs as they love them.

I saw some in B&Q for 10p for 6 a few days ago, absolutely kicking myself for not picking them up. Lovely plants.
  • Sue HSue H Posts: 415
    I bought some rooty bits in a packet for 29p. Put them in pots in my cold frame and they are all growing. Bargain? Not sure what colours they will be. All 3 look healthy. image
  • hollie hockhollie hock Posts: 3,346

One of my large ones isn't putting on much growth at the moment. i think even though they are perennials they might be shortlived only doing their best for a few years. I planted out a few little ones grown from seed before this cold weather hit. Seem to be doing ok.

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

Mines the same, the one from last year isn't showing any signs of new growth. I don't know if its dead or not. Glad I sowed some seeds from it last year.  

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,455
    Mine are the same, but usually are the same each year , they do come back this frost has stunted them a bit. I pulled some pieces off the other day with bit of root and potted them up in greenouse, coming along great and will give me some more spares. I do this each year now , mine are dwarf white .

Bunny
  • My lupins are up already......but the snails have already appeared as well. I know it's the age old question for gardeners everywhere but what is the best cure for this problem???? I like to avoid pellets/chemicals if I can. At the moment I am picking them off regularly.........

• hollie hockhollie hock Posts: 3,346

One idea someone told me was if you think a Lupin is passed it's best, split it with a spade and replant in Spring. Haven't been brave enough to try it............yet, the large one without much growth might get this treatment, if it doesn't start growing.

Both my other large ones have got quite a bit of growth on them, some of the leaves are a bit damaged, don't think it's anything to worry about.

Will try a root this year Bunny as the purple one is absolutley stunning and would like another.  Not grown the dwarf types, are they annual or perennial?

Slugs and snails love the fresh young leaves, I use a one off dose of slug pellets if the small plant is being devoured, gives it time to grow a little. After that I don't use anything.

I love lupins