Forum home Plants

identification help

T4T4 Posts: 4
I was in Portugal recently and I saw the most beautiful Buddleia bush with round heads, each head had pink/orange/yellow petals on it. I have searched for its proper title and for places to buy it to no avail- can anyone help? Many thanks!

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,501

Try Buddleja globosaX 'Salmon Spheres'

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,358

it will be one of the crosses between globosa and davidiiimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • T4T4 Posts: 4
    Thank you buttercupdays, have checked that and the pink is too pale, it was more of a fuscia.

Thank you nutcutlet, I've searched under those and can't find it online, could be though!
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

B. globosa is great for honeybees as the flowers are shorter than B davidii and they can get their probosces in.  Worth getting for that alone, but if there are other colours you liek even beter I daresay the bees won't mind.  Good luck image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,440

Is it buddleja x weyeriana bicolor.

Weyeriana are usually more yellow but that one has more pinky purple.

Thank you fidgetbones the colours are very close! Just need to find the globe version now!

So after all your help I have come across the answer, to do with pollination: they are buddleya globosa bicolour yellow and orange, which turn pink/red once they have been pollinated by the bees/butterflies, to tell them they have no more nectar: what an interesting and beautiful thing to learn image