Forum home Plants

8 1/2 ft hollyhock

marc weirmarc weir Posts: 124
I purchased 3 hollyhock plugs two of which are normal in size and flowering but the other is 8 1/2 feet high with flower buds but no sign of the flowers opening it just keeps going up and up. I fed it last week to see if I could open the flowers with no joy. Ideas ?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,419

coo, that's a big one. !image

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,453

Are you sure they're flower buds and not seedpods - they can look similar?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• My hollyhocks are also 8/9 foot high and started flowering about 2 weeks ago .. patience lol.

• linjoylinjoy Posts: 12

If they are buds they will open eventually unless drought or frost gets them first.  Keep it watered.  Not sure

about feeding though.  

• marc weirmarc weir Posts: 124
    The other 2 are about 3 feet which I presume are normal. Wish I could post pic but im on mobile phone. Its like a sunflower lol. Can seeds be collected from hollyhocks ?
  • Hollyhock seeds can be easily collected once the pods have turned brown and are ready to pop open.

• linjoylinjoy Posts: 12

Three feet is on the small side, but leave them in for better height next year.  If you fed your giant earlier in summer with something like miraclegrow you would have encouraged that green growth at the expense of flowers.   

• When you move a hollyhock it might, in protest, not flower that year. Keep the earth around it moist, and next year you will be rewarded with 8 1/2 foot of stunning flowers.