Forum home Talkback

useful non- gardening tools.

2»

• granmagranma Posts: 1,929

Ignore the 'I'

• B3B3 Posts: 27,319
    Do you put bottle over seed head or break them off and drops them in gramma?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

Plastic 2 litre drink bottles cut in half to make individual mini cloches for cuttings in 3" pots. Does that count as a tool? Maybe not. 

Wooden kebab skewer kept near the greenhouse door to twirl away the cobwebs that are always draped across the door when I go in there. I keep one in the car too, for the wing mirror spiders! 

Metal tent peg to reach through the holes in the trellis and pull back the stems of clematis that seem to think that next doors garden is more interesting than mine. 

Like the idea of the escapee retractor. Same problem with e/w facing trellis.
  • 2 litre drink bottles upended in pots after filling with water, to act as slow waterers if away for a few days

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,537

Old dinner knife (bakelite handle, belonged to M-i-L) for weeding between slabs, scraping off moss, weeding dandelions in lawn. Also used for mixing and applying polyfilla, putty etc. Various plastic supermarket trays for mini seed trays, holding small pots of young plantlets, storing labels and bits and bobs. Terracotta drainage pipe to contain and contol short canes and stakes. Flat, strong banana boxes from SM for storing small plant pots (pots laid down in stacks, boxes can then be stacked themselves) and overwintering dahlia tubers. Cat litter tray for watering seed trays (also makes a good first pond for ducklings!). Weld mesh attached to wall as climber support.

I used to have a cheese knife I used for weeding between slabs but it's been buried somewhere along with my trowel. I think my next useful tool will be a metal detector!
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,929

Depends on the seed B3  and how many I usually hold the bottles under and snip. it is then put into the green house or a sunny window .

'Leave  the top off . Shake  regularly and usually the seed drop to the bottom of the bottle.

I don't put them in until the y are  getting dry on the plants.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

high powered water pistol, great for stopping cats pooping in the borders and keeping the squirrels and wood pigeons off the bird feeders,

I'm also becoming a crack shot, which should be fun for my little cousins when they come over on holiday at the end of this month! image though I will give them a 10 second head start in any water fights! lol