Forum home Talkback

useful non- gardening tools.

B3B3 Posts: 26,954
Have you any tools not really meant for gardening that you find useful? My latest discovery is a slater's hammer. It's pointy at one end a bit like a small pick axe but pointier. It's great for breaking up clods of clay and for getting under perennials which have received the death sentence. Another good one is that little trowel thing you use for putting polyfilla on the wall. It's great to use as a hoe in restricted areas. Scissors have various obvious uses depending on size. Can anyone recommend anything else?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• pansyfacepansyface Posts: 22,682

Old tights and pop socks. Any number of uses.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,818

Bread knife for sawing up clumps of plants to make divisions.

Builders' mesh for reinforcing concrete - makes a transparent fence between us and the field behind and a trellis between the main bed and the woodland corner of our garden - great for supporting blackberries and pumpkins and sweet peas and clematis.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 26,954
    I believe they are good support for one's melons but I have never needed them!
    Mesh is good for keeping squirrels and cats off seed beds as well
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Mesh laundry bags for hanging up and storing onions / shallots image

• Mine was a crow bar! When I arrived in this house there was a whacking great old tree stump at the bottom of the garden. Took a couple of weeks of sweating, swearing excavation, sawing and use of the crowbar to both lever bits out and in some cases, hammer it into thick roots in order to split them. Between the two of us, Himself and I could just carry it and it filled the boot of my old Freelander!

• LynLyn Posts: 23,047

Meat skewer for stabbing slugs,

eyebrow tweezers for picking up seeds for individual pots.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Pallet knife for close quarter hoeing. Get's into tight spots where a hoe can't go. Also good for getting between slabs before re pointing.

What's a pallet knife Dave?

Paint scraper sounds the business runny. Better than my polyfilla trowel. And I've got one already!
  • pansyfacepansyface Posts: 22,682

Palette knife. Used by artists for applying their palette of pretty coloured paints.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.