Forum home The potting shed

Oh dear! Is this the beginning of the end?

2»

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,397

That's sad Doveimage

I keep looking at ours. We lost a youngish one last year but couldn't find any of the symptoms for a definite diagnosis

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 7,010

That doesn't sound like such good news Dove image.

At least if you get 'a man' in you'll get a definitive 'yes' or 'no' and can discuss the options. Like you, I'd be a bit worried about damage to neighbours' property if I thought bits might start falling off.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

Dove, all is not lost. I have a young Ash in the garden, maybe 12 to 14ft tall now. Two years ago I thought i was a goner, about one third of it looked dead. We had the 'keys' going brown too early along with leaves turning black, almost as if they had been scorched by a bonfire.

Last year it was virtually disease free, only a few dying leaves about this time of year. 2015 has seen it in full leaf again and only now beginning to see the odd set of leaves falling early. My Dad's Ash is very similar. I think they perhaps have more resistance to this disease than we realise. Keeping my fingers crossed for yours...

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,270

Sorry Topbird just read your post.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,631

Sad Dove but an opportunity too.  A friend of mine has had to have 5 huge ash trees taken out because they had dieback and she didn't want them falling on houses or sheds.   The resulting sense of space and light is amazing and has completely changed what she can plant in her garden.

I think you might find a hawthorn would grow rapidly and provide plenty of food and shelter for insects and birds.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,696

We had 2 removed this week because they were only 2m from our annexe and the branches were rubbing the roof tiles. 

Found one was hollow. The loss of privacy from the road is offset by not having to worry about them  falling on the annexe.

I know your situation is different, but, as oblelixx says, it's an opportunity.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,507

I've been thinking about guelder rose and hawthorn image  If we took out the poorly ash and ground out the stump, we could move the compost bins and possibly The Shedlet to behind next door's garage and plant two or three along the back fence - that would have the added benefit of improving the view from the house as well.  

Then by the time the bigger ash tree eventually succumbs (if it does - fingers are crossed) then at least we'll have some trees in the garden if we have to lose that one too.

Shall have to talk to OH - he loves the ash trees and the insect life they attract, especially the moths and cockchafers. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Sad news if it does have to go, Dove.  But look at you - all enthused about options image. I'd agree with getting tree surgeon out for advice.  Then if a branch does fall and do some damage at least it's clear that you were doing what you could and being responsible - don't want grumpy neighbours!

I'll take the name of your tree surgeon when I see you if I may - am needing a recommendation.