sowing seeds beginner

hi so i have just bought myself a seed starting kit or an unheated propagator. i know it is late in the year for sowing seeds. so if anyone could tell me what things i can grow now and when i can start sowing for next season. i want to grow flowers more than veg but for now i will grow anything.

thanks in advance

• paulk2paulk2 Posts: 184
    josh foster wrote (see)

hi so i have just bought myself a seed starting kit or an unheated propagator.

huh?

Pansy and viola are good to sow now.

Cheers Paul.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Herbs to keep indoors and use this winter

• Danae dan-Ah-eeDanae dan-Ah-ee Posts: 425

Several weeks ago I was given a potted Morning Glory.  It produces many flowers which, for some reason, at about midday close up!  I suppose its their party trick.  All the same, the flowers are really lovely and I was wondering whether it would be all right to sow their ripe seed now in readiness for next year so I can have a whole lot of them.  Or is this the "funniest" thing ever said??  image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,020

Hi josh, last autumn I sowed delphiniums, aquilegias and primroses which made it through the winter as seedlings on my garden table, ragged robin too. However these are fully hardy perennials and very tough plants.

Do you have a greenhouse or cold frame? If its half hardy or tender annuals (French marigolds, cosmos etc) you'll have to wait until next spring. 

• ladygardener2ladygardener2 Posts: 344

Danae Morning Glory are best sown the year they are to flower. I'd say save them until next spring and sow them then.

• ladygardener2ladygardener2 Posts: 344

I usually sow some Calendula and Cornflower about now, as has already been said, Hesperis and Honesty can be sown now too. Sweetpea I sow in October. Hardy annuals can usually be sown now, you could sprinkle some Poppies over some bare ground and they'll come up earlier than spring sown ones next year.

• Danae dan-Ah-eeDanae dan-Ah-ee Posts: 425

Thank you, Ladygardener, for your help.  I will, most certainly, follow your advice; and I'm already looking forward to their party tricks!  image