Using horse manure

I moved in to a new home in January, I have perennials, osteopermum, conifers, potentilla, lavender. I have not ferterlised at all yet, I have 3 bags of horse manure, is it too late to use?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,113

I wouldn't put it straight onto flower border, mixed in your compost heap and leave till Winter or early Spring would be best. Then the worms will take it down for you and mix it in.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Ok thank you, it's been sat in bags since spring so it should be rotted by now but that's what il do, il was it until winter.

Thing is samantha, if you use it on its own its liable to just burn your plants, mixed in with other stuff it's beautiful!

• I'm just worried that my garden hasn't been ferterlised as of yet, defiantly not been done since November last year, I know they say early spring or autumn/winter is the best time so I guess I can either mix it with compost and apply now or add to compost heap and mulch in winter?

I wouldn't apply now, your plants will be coming to an end soon and by feeding now you are likely to promote growth which will be soft and could die in the winter. Spring and early summer is the time to feed.

i don't feed my borders at all, only compost in the winter, I think the soil, left alone, will re generate by itself.

others don't agree with me, but there's far too much spread, trickled poured onto the soil.

tubs and baskets however get fed weekly.

• When you compost in winter do you have manure added to your compost?

I don't have baskets or tubs this year but next year I would like to, I just have a perennial border, mainly shrubs and small trees, in the back I have a around 20 conifers and another tree, I'm not sure what it is.

I just chuck everything I have got into the compost bins, if some horse muck is available, it goes in there as well. Sometimes I buy a bag of well rotted farmyard manure to add.

In December the whole lot gets put on the beds.

Trees won't need feeding though, but spread what you have got around the perennials, the worms will take it down.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I don't feed my perennials at all but I do feed the roses and fruit bushes image
  • Ok great, thank you for your advise, it's much appreciated ????????
  • Thank you Lyn, as you can see I'm just starting to learn the basics but at 28 hopefully I have many years to enjoy in the garden