seeds and cuttings

hi guys hope this is the correct place to put this question.

so i have been thinking about sowing my own seeds and taking cuttings. i don't have a greenhouse but looking to do it indoors, any advice on what how i need to do  it and also what equipment to buy to start off?

any help much appreciated

thanks in advance

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,660

try the RHS website?

Tons of useful info on there.

Devon.
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 2,868

I've just sown some cornflower seeds, they germinated in five days just in a tray of compost in a sheltered spot in the garden image make sure you are sowing the right seeds at the right time of year, it will advice you on the packet. Also don't soak your seeds, just dampen, best of luck image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,963

A small note of caution with seeds Josh - don't sow too many if you're doing it indoors because when you need to prick out or pot them on, you'll rapidly run out of room!

Not such an issue for spring sowing as you can start getting them outdoors once they get bigger,  but at this time of year it will be more of an issue - unless you have a conservatory or hundreds of window ledges! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

You can keep cuttings on a windowsill that doesn't get too much sun. The only equipment you need is one small plant pot or yogurt pot, and something to stand it on. I root plants in very, very damp vermiculite which seems to remove the need for covering the pot in a plastic bag to keep in the moisture. You can start seeds off in food containers too.......cream cheese tubs, small margarine tubs, that sort of thing. You get the joys of recycling with the knowledge that you've saved a few shillings too.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,983

Has anyone saved annual cosmos seeds and sown,  for the next year some of mine are going to seed wondered if it was viable?  I kept rim magenta penutas, this year was the second, they are now mostly green with a little magenta circle, I dont mind though

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,184

I have always started my seeds indoors as my greenhouse is unheated, I tend toward veg and use old CD boxes with Perspex lids as windowsill propagators (they have holes in the bottom so are perfect) and then a large cardboard box cut on the diagonal and covered with foil for the seedlings.

My daughter is a costume designer and had loads of dexion shelving so I just moved her buttons and bows along to make way for my plants. You need a lot of space near light even using the foil. She moved out last year image so I lost my shelves, but, bought me a heated propagator, joy image

I now live on my own so can make space wherever I like, if there are other people in your house to consider you may want to think through the consequences as it can get awkward.........

• thanks for the relipes 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,983

Josh foster, you do realise this is addictive! I now have 3 greenhouses (one is heated, but we overwinter citrus and tropicals in there) most seeds say they have to be germinated at 20-25, those start out in my bedroom windowcill, very unattractive, I use anything with a transparent lid, i.e.trifle tubs.  Then go on to spare bedroom windowcill, then they get moved to conservatory, shuffled around every day to get light/sun, then move to greenhouse.  From February to April, the place looks horrible, I will be honest, and sometimes they get knocked of when curtains are drawn, always when you have just watered them!  But all worth it in the end! sowed a lot of flowers this year, so it was even worse!