More plants needed

Mrs FMrs F Posts: 3

Is anyone able to help please? I have too much earth on show between my shrubs and bulbs, which means endless weeding. Do you have any suggestions for plants I can add to fill in the gaps? I have mainly pink and purple colours.

• Pennine PetalPennine Petal Posts: 1,541
    Forget me nots?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,692

I suggest that you plant more of the plants that you have, in groups of 3, 5 or 7 depending on the space available.

You could then hoe between them and  mulch with compost to keep weeding to a minimum.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Mrs FMrs F Posts: 3

Thanks for the ideas. Hopefully it will be warm enough to get along to the garden centre soon and then i can put in some new plants.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,095

There are some lovely perennial geraniums in pinks and purples that are good and filling in gaps.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,490

I agree, Busy-Lizzie - I use Geranium wallichianum 'Buxton's Variety' all around my garden.  It's fast growing, has both pretty leaves and flowers and it makes a great low-growing ground-cover.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Last year I discovered a bedding plant called gazania kiss series. Seriously good plant that I hardly watered and it bloomed its heart out. Aldi have miniature plugs of these for 1.99. They are like a large daisy flower. I'm addicted and just set 20 bronze seeds tonight! I have 100 kiss series to sow hopefully tomorrow. I don't have room for them all but I figure I can make family smile by giving gifts!
  • Gazanias smile when the sun shines..I have found them more hardy than advertised. Has anyone else nursed them through winter to get a second season and were they as good?

• I nursed mine then suddenly they went mushy to the core!! They are a bargain space filler. Especially if your on a water meter!!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,244

I'd go for a good mixture of easy going perennials, something for all seasons. The bees will love you.