I'm with Morrisons

Well, bully for Morrisons!   I am very pleased to see that they will be supporting dairy farmers in the future.   I shall be looking for the new brand of milk, and happily paying the extra 10p per litre which Morrisons are planning to give directly to the dairy farmers.   It's Fair Trade.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,196

It's a crazy situation isn't it? I use around 5 or 6 litres a week so that would only be 50 or 60 pence more. Hardly going to put me in the poor house.

I spent more on a packet of crisps my daughter asked me to get her the other day.image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,668
    jo47 wrote (see)

I've always bought milk through my local farmers creamery ...... it has always been more expensive but at least I've always known I'm paying for very local produce to the people who provide the raw materials and own the co-operative 100%. I can't be doing with the 'big boys' taking their cut and crying poverty .......... 

Us too http://www.marybelle.co.uk/home image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I remember when crisps were 3d a pkt image

I don't buy much milk so don't really know what it costs but I do shop at Morrisonsimage

• I buy mine from the co -op and have tried to find out if they give a good price to the farmers for their milk. you'd think they would, but I cant get a straight answer from them.

I know waitrose and marks and spencer pay well, but they are miles away and I rarely visit them.

we did have a milkman, but he would deliver after we had gone to work, and the milk would sit there all day. and he would quite often get the order wrong, and the bill wrong.

I shall make the effort and go to morrisons, and can always freeze the milk, altho I don't have a big freezer so that's not idea.

would really like to know if the co - op does indeed pay a decent amount to the farmers.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,710

Claire, Waitrose deliver. image

Devon.

whilst everyone had genuine sympathy for the farmers during foot and mouth. I've been told that afterwards , around here, the number of farmers who suddenly had brand new land rovers and had extensions etc on their houses, one does have to wonder where their priorities really are at time.

Not to mention the number who were , illegally , moving animals from farm to farm to boost their herd numbers before the inspectors turned up.

Devon.

I've heard the story too many times from too many people .

We have a dairy farm at the bottom of our lane and they do indeed work very hard and very , very long hours during sillage cutting for example  ( not saying they were involved in any of the above )

I do feel that farmers default position is to have a bit of a winge, Too much rain, not enough rain, too hot, too cold.

And I don't know of any other industry so heavily subsidised by the tax payer.

If they can't make  a profit, they can always sell up ?

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

Several very good lettersin the papers today but this one addresses the subject from a slightly different angle

• I am appalled at the recent string of protests over falling dairy prices, especially those that have made use of live cows. The dairy cow is one of the most exploited animals in UK agriculture; subjected to repeated rounds of artificial insemination, increasingly confined to zero-grazing units and bred to produce unnaturally large and ever-increasing quantities of milk. And now they are being used to promote the very industry that exploits them by being forced into noisy, brightly lit supermarkets – an environment that is completely unsuitable for such an animal and that risks the biosecurity of her entire herd.

Dairy cows now produce 10% more milk per animal than a decade ago and milk production has surged across the EU since the scrapping of milk quotas at the end of March. Yet despite pushing cows to the limit of their productive capacity and receiving huge public subsidies, it seems that farmers are still unable to turn a profit on milk. This clearly demonstrates what an unsustainable industry dairy farming is.
    Ben Martin
    Animal Aid

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

the converse side of Ben Martins argument might be:

No matter how hard farmers try , they're always shafted by the supermarkets?

Just a thought.

Devon.