hedgehogs

is it me or has the hedgehog seem to be disappearing ive not seen any for ages

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,999

We moved here almost 4 years ago and I saw hedgehog poo last week for the first time. 

I'd be thrilled to see the little critter .

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,535

The overall number of hedgehogs in the UK has fallen dramatically of late and they are endangered. 

We've got them visiting our garden every night, and several people on here have reported new sightings this year.

Have a look here http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/ for ways to encourage and help hedgehogs image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• annmarie 2annmarie 2 Posts: 154
    we use to have a small family of them at our other house but since we move I ve only seen an odd one and that was a while ago ... its a shame cause they eat little critters up , thanks dovefromabove I,ll check out the websight
  • Rinus KRinus K Posts: 67

Hedgehogs do have it very difficult at the moment due to the drought as I read. in a dutch newspaper.

They can't find enough food. Earthworms are deep in the ground and are the main foodsource for hedgehogs. And slugs  hide themselves to avoid heat or will be  killed by us to protect our beloved palnts. It's also hard for them to find water to drink. When they fall into ditch or pond they drown mostly. Garden owners have been asked to place a bowl of fresh water for them somewhere easy to find. Not milk. Unfortunately an other reason is trafik. If I see a hedgehog it's almost always dead on the road hit by a car.

By the way... hedgehogs like cat food and it's not harmful for them.

• As long as it is meat, ideally chicken based catfood. Not fish based.

As Rinus says, no milk.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,518

I have had hedgehogs visit almost every night for 7 years! They also use the hog house in the garden,had up to 3 share it once!

I feed with a mixture of Go-Cat (not fish variety),whole peanuts,dried mealworms,hulled sunflower seeds and raisins.

I also put out 'wet' cat food sometimes.

Had a couple of youngsters this year and a chap up the road raised 3 orphans.

Ther seems to be a relatively healthy population round here although we do see a couple of road fatalities each year.

Put out food and water especially if you think they may be around.

Another thing is to make sure they have some sort of access to your garden,a 4" hole under a fence or gate is sufficient.

We need to do as much as possible for these lovely creatures.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Badgers are also death to hedgehogs.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,828

there is some talk amongst conservationists of hedgehogs starting to evolve behaviourally roughly within the M25 motorway.

outside that area if they are caught in the road and see a car they curl up, with the obvious consequences.

inside the M25 something like 60% don't curl up, they run away (at 90 degrees) from the car, as a consequence they are surviving better and passing that behaviour onto their hogletts.

so there may be some hope for the future, we just have to stop making gardens and parks too neat now. hogs like somewhere to hide during the day.

• We moved here last year and have a hedgehog that wanders past our french windows and peers in as we watch TV in the late evening. The other evening I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye and turned to see the hedgehog up on its hind legs with its front paws against the glass looking in to what was going on. So cute!! I've been putting out a bowl of water and a bowl of peanuts. The nuts are usually all gone by morning. I would put out cat food but we have a lot of cats around here so I don't see that as a good idea. I've got sunflower seed hearts so I could try those.

• Mealworms are excellent Caroline, cats won't take them and birds will clear up leftovers during the day.