Forum home Tools and techniques

New lawn edging shears

I am looking to buy a new pair of lawn edging shears - has anyone got any recommendations? Or what to look for in a good one? Not looking to spend a fortune and likewise nothing cheap that will need replacing next week. Our current one was 'inherited' from the previous owner of the house but are useless - 2 snips and need re tightening.

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256

Don't think you'd go wrong at Screw fix for arround £10.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Over the years I've found them all to be very much the same, the secret is to keep them sharp, so buying a sharpening tool is a good idea. No need to spend a fortune on either.

• turmericturmeric Posts: 678

I have to say I got mine from Wilko's.  They only cost me £6 and they're still going strong 18 months later.

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054

I have one of these which I bought from the local garden centre about six or seven years ago, the head moves to different angles so I can cut the lawn edges and move the blades to a more angled position to cut where the grass grows up to the stepping stones. I have treated these roughly using them to snip bits off of conifers and ivy when I couldn't quite reach which they are not designed to do but the sort of thing I always end up doing, I have accidently managed to get stones between the blades when edging the grass but still they cut as well as ever. They operate single handedly with a squeezing motion and I have to say I really can't believe that after all this time and with the rough handling I have given them they still work.

http://www.tooled-up.com/product/fiskars-gs46-servo-long-handled-grass-shears-1.12-metre-long/179884/?Referrer=googleproductlisting&gclid=CLeo3IKmoccCFSQHwwod-z4AZw#prettyPhoto

• Jazza77Jazza77 Posts: 8

what is the best way to sharpen garden shears

• turmericturmeric Posts: 678

Jazza77 you might want to start a new thread as this one is old and also refers to long handled edging shears.  You might get a quicker response with a new thread with a different title.