Forum home Fruit & veg

What is plant

hi can someone identify this plant/bush for me there are apples type fruit on it and are they edible I'll add some pics,

many thanks, Larry 

It also has thorns on the branches

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,790

That's a Chaenomeles https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-results?nm=chaenomeles also known as Japanese  or ornamental quince.

The fruit are inedible raw, but can be used for cooking - they're very good with a pot-roasted pheasant or guinea fowl, and can be used to flavour jellies etc - as with the culinary quince recipes. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

Make fabulous Jam and the true Quince was the original fruit used for Marmalade.

• Thank you it's nice to know people are out there to help should have done this ages ago.

Thank you really appreciate your help

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,790

Our pleasure Larry - it keeps us out of mischief image   Welcome aboard image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Can you help identify these two plants/shrubs we saw them In a local park and liked them a lot.

many thanks Larry

• kleipieperkleipieper Posts: 563

The first one is definitely a hardy Hibiscus.

Second one could possibly also be a Hybiscus, but I'm not sure.image

I'm sure someone else will know.image

• I would like to thank all the people that have replied to my threads  I really appreciate it all as a beginner at all this 

• Can you help identify these two plants/shrubs we saw them In a local park and liked them a lot.

many thanks Larry