Forum home Plants

Very White rose?

I am looking for a white rose for my white bed I started this year (really ought to be gardening but planning is so much more inviting and Dove made a pot of coffee not a cup).image

The soil is a bit acid, well drained spot, very fertile with morning shade, afternoon sunshine with some dappled shade created by nearby trees at various times during the day. 

It can either be a climber (not too big) I can put on an obelisk or a small compact one but I do want it to be as white as possible, not creamy or pinky. 

Any ideas, as always gratefully received. image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 984

Iceberg - it is a very well known and popular rose for very good reasons - ease of care, good white colour, repeat flowering, disease resistance, comes in different forms....I love mine.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,160

Rosa Europa Nostra - new one I came across at the garden centre 10 days ago.  Very bushy habit with healthy, glossy green foliage and lots of small, white, scented flowers which repeat.   

I bought one but am waiting for the Belgian drought to finish before planting out as I need to get in and clear excess pink geraniums first to make  space.

If you want large flowers, then yes, Iceberg.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 84,007

Have a look at Alba semi plena - in my experience whiter than in the pic here 

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/alba-semiplena/

and Boule de niege http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/boule-de-neige/

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you all, I love them all, especially the Boule de neige, think my white bed might just have to turn into a white rosebed! image It does say the boule de neige won't tolerate shade much, do you think morning shade would be ok??

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin

Send Classic Roses an email DD - I should think it ought to be ok, given that your sunshine is of a more southern quality than ours here in Norfolk (where Classic Roses are) but have a word with them and check.

It is a gorgeous rose - I've not grown it but a friend grew it in a Stately Home type garden where she was Head Gardener and I loved it - the perfume was exquisite and the white 'snowballs' sort of glowed in the low evening light image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Will do Dove, you have definitely sold it to me! image

• Thank you all for help/advice. After discussing directly with Classic  roses -very helpful lady, I have decided on the Boule de Neige and they will deliver here to France in November so I am very pleased with that. image

Now I just need to get out in the garden and get some weeding done rather than just 'reading'. image

imageimageimage