Best way to remove

My son wants to remove a hedge and replace it with a fence. Removing the top i know will just be just a question of hard work but what is the best way to remove the roots ? Any advice would be gratefully received as i think it will be mom and dad who will be doing a lot of it image

• DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

If it's a mature hedge it's going to be tough to dig out the roots.  You could always consider grinding out the roots.

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

What type of hedge is it?

• I think it is just a privet hedge. When you said to grind the roots what does that mean exactly ? He lives in a different part of the country so we will be visiting for a few days to help him sort it out so we will have to try and do as much as possible in a short time. 

• That was very naughty of them !

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,962
    Digging out the roots is the way to go. You will need a spade, trowel, pruning saw and secateurs and a bricklayers hammer if you can get one. Brilliant with its pointed end to knock out soil from around roots. Leave as much of the trunk as possible so you can use it as a lever. Not sure how much of a trunk privet has. Dig, cut, shoogle, dig, cut, shoogle........... .....until it comes free.

I would only use a stump grinder for the roots of a tree - not sure it would be much use on the roots of privet.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Thanks for all your advice.

• Get someone in with a mini-digger - not too expensive and very quick.

• Hogweed, I'm loving the word 'shoogle'! Strangely pleasing.