The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

What is the best soil tester kit?

Hello all

I'm new to gardening and was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best soil testing kit to use? I have heard that the solar panel ones with long prongs are next to useless, but I can't seem to find an alternative. Thanks.

• cathy43cathy43 Posts: 373

I use the cheap solution test kit from GC. you put a bit of soil in add sterile water and after a minute or two it changes colour. The instructions are easy to follow and it is fairly reliable

• Ms MagooMs Magoo Posts: 13

Thank you!

• Hi, Ms Magoo

I use a meter myself....less faffing-about, easy to read & permanent.

This isn't the one I use, but would be quite adequate and I'm sure you'll agree very reasonably priced: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001AGRK42?keywords=soil%20tester&qid=1439494480&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

• Whoops! image......just read a few of the reviews and some are not too flattering.

As I said, this isn't the one I have, so perhaps it would be advisable to pay a little more for better quality. However, it does offer another solution.

• Ms MagooMs Magoo Posts: 13

Thank you David K. I actually used a solution tester kit which seemed to work fine and told me my soil is neutral.