Wildlife Pond

Hi Everyone. I would like to know the correct time of year to create a wildlife pond. At the moment I have an existing wildlife pond that will be replaced with a much larger one. There is lots of wildlife in there, but I'm not sure when its the right time to dig a new one ?  I will be grateful for any information.

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 850

Id say you can create a new one at any time of the year. The question should be 'when is the best time to empty/disturb the current one'.

Are you building a new one elsewhere in the garden, and then filling in the current one, or are you ripping out the current one and rebuilding it in the same location?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,052

are you asking about taking the old one apart or just making a new one

• We are taking the current pond out & rebuilding the new one in the same location.

So are you intending on building the new one first, then filling in the current one?

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 960

Ok - what size is your existing pond and is it a pre formed shape....what size, kind of liner etc are you planning for your new one?

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,673

I am also planning on replacing my wildlife pond with a slightly larger one in the same position.Not quite sure when it will happen but I have a couple of large tug trugs and will probably just transfer everything carefulle.

Depends really how big your pond is.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

Id say theres no perfect time to disturb or empty a wildlife pond, but probably best done early spring or late autumn when theres less activity?

• We are planning to empty the existing pond & then build a new one. The existing pond is a small pre formed shape measuring just over 5ft by 3ft. We are planning to build a new pond at least 1 1/2 times bigger that the current one. We will be using a good quality liner with a selection of plants, stones & edging.

Be sure to post photos of the new pond build please Paula.

• Ok will do.