Forum home Tools and techniques

Gardening gloves and sweaty hands

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

I have several pairs of gardening gloves,different sorts for different jobs and wash them regularly to keep them fresh.

My favouite are the washable leather gloves from Briers.Being leather they breathe,have not had to wash them either yet.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,293

I rarely use gloves, but it it's something wet, I use those red latex jobs which always make your hands sweat, well mine anyway. Inside I wear a pair of those really thing cotton gloves you can get for about 99p . Seperate them after and turn, as best you can, the red one inside out. I used to leave them on the dash board of my van in the sun ,and they'd dry in no time.

So long as the cotton ones were dry, even if the red  ones were a bit damp, it was fine next day.

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

I have a collection and wear whatever is dry on the day. But in winter when they're saturated, (eg after stuffing the shredder), they can dry so solid they don't bend anymore. Can usually be forced though but they have a short lifeimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972

Think MMan's main issue is finding a pair of gloves which will defy bramble shredded hands. Not sure there's anything that does but I use heavy duty gloves that workmen wear. Not very becoming - and always a bit big for me - but something finer inside them to help cut down on sweaty hands might be effective. Having two or three pairs is probably the best solution for ease of cleaning and drying etc.

nut - there's always a danger your solid ones will end up in the shredder - recycling at it's best! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

My shredder can cope with gloves Fairyimage

and secateurs, and a pair of safety specsimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448

Could you wear a pair of thin white cotton gloves inside which could be washed easily?

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • First of all, this is not a sarcastic question.

Why do you wear the strong, thorn resistant gloves inside a pair of ordinary gardening gloves? Surely wearing two pairs of gloves increases the generation of sweat!! If, as you say, they are 'strong, thorn resistant gloves' just wear them. Then wash them when you've dealt with the brambles!

I understand where NorthernLass2 was coming from, to an extent. I wasn't sure if the OP was a serious question either.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    You really have to wonder about guys who join the board; pick a fight and stomp off on their first thread!