Forum home Plants

ground cover

hi, am thinking about buy some ground cover plants this year but evergreen kinds? what are the fast growing ground cover plants, from chris,

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,868

Hi Christopher

What's the soil and sun/shade/moisture situation?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Geranium macrorrhizum is one of my favourites. Love the smell when you crush the leaves.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

And you can get plain green or a pretty variation of bugle

Best is if you post in details of situation (sun, shade, part shade). How tall you want the plants and what is it to do (eyesore/stop weeding/ easy care/look pretty)

Looking at your profile, you should know that you need to be more specific

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,138
    I picked up some roots of a beautiful silver/green leafed ground cover plant in a churchyard I was working in last month.

I have looked it up in the book and it's called Lamiastrum galeobdolon Variegated. It was growing in full sun in one place and under trees somewhere else.

The silver on the leaves was shining brilliantly. It's probably quite evasive but if you can keep it in check, it would be lovely.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

That one is invasive Lyn. But lovely when growing well. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Does very well in shade or part shade. Can cope with very dry soil there. Not tried it in hot dry places or really heavy clay. Spreads well but easy to get out if it goes too far.

I've got it in a sort of light whitish pink, a clear light pink, magenta (ish) and white which is a bit feeble and doesn't spread so well.

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 980

Holle hock,  Geranium macrorrhizum will grow anywhere. I have it in growing in dry shade, damp shade and in sun. There are pink flowers in May, leaves take on autumnal shades in autumn, scented leaves and so easy to propagate. You just break off a piece and replant. Also easy to rid of (and you can't say that about too many ground cover plants. Roots are not deep and I just pull it out when it encroaches.

There is a varigated version and a smaller white flowered one too. I have found them alot less vigorous and not as good as the original in other aspects too.