Forum home Wildlife gardening

Insect activity around a chimney pot

Hi Guysimage

Question for the insect fans - there is alot of activity around my chimney pot and I can't  identify them from the ground although I'd hazard a guess at honey bees or wasps.

There appears to be a dozen or more slender insects around an inch long diving in the  chimney pot and shooting around in the air around it.

Does anyone know what they're likely to be from the behaviour and location/ time of year?

A few websites I looked at said they're likely to be honey bees but I don't know enough about insect behaviour to know one way or the other. I don't think they are bumble bees as one flew over the house as I was watching and it didn't look the same at a distance.

Hopefully something hasn't died in the chimney and they're bluebottles or somethingimage

Thanks for any infoimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

my guess would be waspsimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,688

Wasps for me. They will die off in the winter. Meanwhile they will be gobbling up all kinds of caterpillars and suchlike for you.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,829

Wasps are cool, only thinking today I hadn't seen many this year...perhaps I was looking in the wrong placeimage I thought at first a wood pigeon on my roof had a cloud of flies around its headimage

Is that the sort of thing they do, hovering angrily around the entrance? I havent seen any going back and forth...

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Have you got a pair of binoculars? If its any comfort they rarely nest in the same place two years running.

Hi Welshonion, yes I've had the bino's out (image) but I can't make them out, might try again when the sun is lower...

I don't mind them being there at all, whatever they are, I'm just curious as I try to garden for insectsimage

I thought if I watched long enough I'd see one leaving the garden and heading up to the roof but not so far.

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 533

Hi,

It could well be honeybees .... and, if it is, then your chimney is now their new home! They will begin to create comb, fill it with some nectar and pollen, and try and build the colony up to a sufficient size to make it through the winter. So, they may still be there next spring and beyond.

If you start getting a sticky mess (and possibly bees) down the chimney and into your house it's a good idea to buy one of those chimney balloons that people use to stop drafts.

Of course when you light your fire they will be history ......

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   

Thanks for the video Nutimage Wish I could see them that close...

Hi Bee witched, my chimneys are sealed off inside the house but I've heard things in them before so think it's accessible from the roof.

Been out with the binos again and can make out legs and segments but that's all...They look more bumbley through the binos but I think there are too many...? Frustratingly they are not coming into the garden but flying away really high over the gardens, most in the same direction where I assume there's a better source of foodimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,710

Possibly hornets? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

They would be welcome also but I haven't seen any knocking aboutimage

Just looked it up on BWARS (image) and apparently the UK hornet doesn't venture this far North...image